Sunday, October 21, 2007

I Did It!

Well...I completed my first race of the pre-marathon training. It's funny because I did this just so I could kick start my training and I guess in some ways to see what kind of shape I was in. But I also did this because I wanted to set a goal and just stick with it. I had made a decision over a month ago to do this race, and then didn't really do that much training or preparing for it.

I knew going into this that I could run a mile without stopping...that much I knew for sure. Everything else was just going to have to be discovered along the race.

I didn't have the best night of sleep, which was a total bummer. It started off with me getting into bed and just as I was about to fall asleep I sat up and yelled "Fuuuuuuck." I had left my car in the parking lot of the grocery store next door for hours and hours and hours. I knew I couldn't leave it overnight, that would just be asking for trouble So I had to get dressed and walk next door to move my car (after, of course, ensuring it was actually still parked there!).

Once I got the car sitch all figured out, I crawled back into bed for a fitful night of sleep. The next time I got woken up was to our freaking fire alarm going off (I am still unclear as to why exactly it went off). No sooner do I register that it's the fire alarm that I hear Steve screaming "GET UP GET UP." I shot up out of bed, again, and started running out of the bedroom only to discover that nothing is on fire in our apartment...luckily. I get back in bed and start laughing hysterically, with Steve, about the absurdity of the situation and how unbelievable funny it was that he just yelled "GET UP GET UP" and saved my life in our fake fire alarm.

After my friggin' heart rate went down, I drifted back off to sleep and woke up at 618am to my own alarm. I took a shower and then got in the car and had Steve drop me off at the start of the race.

After Chris O'Donnell (yes the actor) thanked us for our participation, we were slowly on our way. I didn't have a game plan...I just wanted to finish the race. Ideally, I wanted to run the entire time, but knew that may not be possible since I literally couldn't (and can't) remember the last time I ran for three miles and I didn't follow anything resembling a training plan. So really, I just wanted to show up and do the race. Anything on top of that was going to be great.

I ran the first mile feeling okay, listening to a Grey's Anatomy podcast while my body left a little sluggish. At the one mile mark I kept running and then just beyond it, I stopped to walk for the first time. I needed to catch my breath and at times I felt like I could walk faster than I could run. I started back up again as we crossed Pico Blvd. and then walked again. Then I started back running again until almost the two mile mark or so.

I had Steve & Clancy planted at the turnaround point (which was probably about 2.5 miles in) and then I knew Susannah was planning on being at the finish line. So I continued the running/walking bit and then I spotted Steve & Clancy who came up beside me and ran next to me for about a minute. As I turned around and headed back down Ocean Blvd. towards the finish line, I heard Clancy barking as he clearly didn't understand why he couldn't run with me. I kept running for quite a while this time, I think I may have stopped once, and then just tried to keep a somewhat steady pace and not have the woman walking beat me. I saw Susannah when I had about 30 seconds left of the race and it was a welcome sight. She gave me just the little burst of energy I needed to cross the finish line where they announcers said "Molly Fast- you're done." (Susannah told me this later, my iPod shuffle was too loud for me to hear anything. As I caught up with Susannah, I saw that she was crying! Which was really really really sweet.

Here's what I feel about the race:
1. I'm really happy that I did it.
2. I'm really proud of myself for sticking with the goal of running it even though I knew I wasn't prepared.
3. I'm not being judgemental about the fact that the clock said 40:22 as I crossed the finish line.
4. I'm also trying to not be judgemental about the fact that I walked for probably close to a mile of the race.
5. I'm trying to focus on the positives.
6. I'm actually looking forward to my next race, which I've already registered for.
7. I can only improve my 5k time from here on out!
8. I did it!



Anyway, so all in all in the race was a great experience and I great jumping off point. More good news is it didn't turn me off from running. It only made me more exciting for what I know I can accomplish in the upcoming year.

I forgot how amazing the energy at a running race can be.

3 comments:

Sheryl October 21, 2007 at 9:53 PM  

Hi, congrats on making it through! I run http://chris-odonnell.com and was wondering if I could use the quick Chris snippet on my site at some point. I wanted to ask your permission since it's your personal blog.

Also, on a more personal note, I lost almost 35 pounds this past summer. Honestly, it was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had. Best of luck with your continued work and running!

Take care,
Sheryl

Anonymous,  October 23, 2007 at 10:41 AM  

Congrats Molly!! I am really proud of you. Happy Birtday - I look forward to an exciting year ahead for you. cb

Anonymous,  October 27, 2007 at 4:47 AM  

so great molly - reading your post brought back repressed racing memories that i thought i had lost (on purpose) forever- but just the good ones.

What's Already Been Said

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP